Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
WORKING THROUGH A STAFFING AGENCY
What are the benefits of working through a staffing agency?
• You’re not alone. Looking for work is a full-time job in itself. Instead of spending hours job hunting alone, when you work with a staffing agency the opportunities come to you! Doherty has a large network of clients hiring for a variety of positions and our recruiters work hard to match you with a job that fits your skillset, earning needs, and schedule.
• We’re the employment experts. Doherty has been in business for over 35 years and our staffing personnel are experts at hiring for a variety of industries and positions. We know the job market and we have the connections. Placing great people into great jobs is our mission, and it's been a life-changing one for our candidates.
• Bridge to permanent employment. Working with a staffing agency can be a bridge to permanent employment, and the potential for securing a permanent position is a major reason people seek temporary work.
• Flexibility. Temporary employment allows you to work when and where you choose. You can work full-time or part-time, take a summer off, work just three or four days a week, and benefit from a variety of other options. You can even fit your work hours around another job or a class schedule. Working for a staffing firm also allows you to experience a variety of industries, companies, and careers you might never have thought of trying—without a long-term commitment.
What type of work does Doherty offer?
We provide a variety of employment arrangements, including temporary/contract work, temp-to-hire opportunities, and even direct hire positions.
• Light Industrial: These are typically temporary and temp-to-hire positions. Most are entry-level positions (e.g., packaging, assembly) and can either be long-term or day-to-day assignments. Skilled production jobs (e.g., machine operator, material handler) are usually temp-to-hire positions with a regular, full-time schedule. Learn more about light industrial jobs here.
• Office or Administrative: These employment options can range from temporary or temp-to-hire, to contract, and direct hire positions. Office or administrative jobs may include: clerical assistant, customer service representative, call center representative, accounting/finance assistant, data entry specialist, office manager, general office support, and more. See all our office or administrative positions here.
• Specialized Careers: Our Career Solutions division places candidates with highly specialized skillsets into direct hire or contract positions within the industries of engineering, management, information technology, information services, finance/accounting, and other highly-skilled jobs. View our job board for more specific job descriptions.
Is there a fee?
• No; Doherty’s staffing and recruiting services are 100% free to applicants or employees.
How do I apply?
For your convenience there are several ways to apply:
• Visit our online job board to browse and apply for jobs: www.doherty.jobs
• Fill out the online application form to submit yourself as a candidate and we will contact you with relevant jobs!
• Stop in or call your local Doherty office. See a list of our offices on our Contact Us page.
• Follow Doherty on a variety of social media sites to get job updates in your newsfeed.
• Download the Doherty Jobs app to search jobs, apply, find an office near you, and more.
Do I need to bring anything when I come in to apply?
• Yes; please bring two forms of identification when you come in to complete your application for employment.
• Additionally, certain positions may require a resume and/or personal references.
How old do you have to be to apply for work?
You must be at least 16 years old to apply in Minnesota. (Laws in other states vary.) In Minnesota, we have limited job opportunities available for employees under age 18 due to safety regulations and legal requirements at client companies.
What can I expect after I apply?
Once you’ve successfully applied and your profile matches a job opening, a Doherty representative may reach out to you via email or phone. At that point, you may be screened and interviewed to better determine your skills and work experience, earning needs, and schedule availability, as well as discuss available employment opportunities in your area.
Where are you located?
Doherty has offices across the Upper Midwest region, including the states of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and North Dakota. Click here to find an office location near you.
Can I refer my friends and family members to Doherty for work opportunities?
Absolutely! For more information or to fill out a referral form, click here.
Why should I consider temporary work?
• Temporary or contract work can provide a bridge to regular, full-time employment. You can use it as an opportunity to try out a prospective employer/workplace and demonstrate your skills for the job.
• For individuals who are looking to supplement their income or have a variety of working schedules in their life, temporary or contract work is a great solution.
• Temporary work can provide a flexible work schedule that helps you better manage a healthy work-life balance.
What kind of flexibility does a staffing job offer me?
Staffing employees can often choose when, where, and how they want to work—all contributing to valuable work-life balance. In fact, 85% of staffing employees surveyed by the American Staffing Association in 2014 said work flexibility was highly important, and a top reason for pursuing temporary or contract work. (Source: American Staffing Association, 2014 Staffing Employee Survey)
PAYCHECKS AND BENEFITS
How and when will I be paid?
Payroll at Doherty is processed weekly and there are lots of benefits to using our paycard. Find more information here.
How do I enroll in benefits?
You can enroll by completing an Essential StaffCARE enrollment application and returning it to your manager. For questions and network information from Doherty's health insurance provider, Essential StaffCARE, please visit www.essentialstaffcare.com/FAQVSI.
For questions regarding the MEC Wellness Preventive Benefit, as well as a full list of preventive services covered, please visit www.essentialstaffcare.com/FAQMEC.
Still need help? Call 1-866-798-0803 or visit www.paisc.com.
We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Please contact us via phone, email, text or in person… we look forward to connecting you with a Doherty staffing and recruiting specialist.